4.12.2012

Spring/Summer Hair

It's already getting warm here in the South, which means it's once again time to start thinking about creative and cute ways to keep my hair from driving me absolutely insane during the spring and summer months. Not only do increasing temps bring a desire to keep anything potentially hot-making (that's a thing) off my neck, but the humidity here in Texas makes my naturally-curly hair a special kind of terrible if I don't treat it right (i.e. submit to its will to do whatever the heck it wants).

Here are some of my favorite 'dos for getting through the coming months with healthy, happy, hot-messless (also a thing) hair:

Never underestimate the simple chicness of a sock bun and a cute scarf or bandana. If I'm feeling sassy, I tie my bandana at my crown for a nod to vintage styling. This look goes with everything and takes mere minutes.
via
When the triple digit heat has me sweating like banshee, I embrace my air-dried curls. I like to loosely gather the wavy strands into a chignon to avoid full-blown Simba status, and nothing says summer like a cute accessory effortlessly styled into a messy up 'do. (Though I'd stay away from white or ivory lest you look less boho and more bridal. Unless, of course, that's the look you're going for.)
via
Pretty, loose braids can be thrown together as you're out the door, and I often find that they less time spent on a braid, the prettier it looks. This is also a great way to tame natural texture while still looking like you actually fixed your hair. Draped over a bare shoulder, braided ponies also look oh-so-feminine.
via
A quick tease to the crown and a tightly secured hair elastic work wonders for hair that keeps you cool but translates well for the office, for play, or for fancy. The key to a good pouf (which elevates a basic pony) is getting the elastic tight and the pony pulled close to your scalp, then gently pulling some of the hair from the crown with the tips of your fingers. Bangs can be swept to the side or pinned back, but don't over-style this look. Keep it relaxed and easy. 'Tis spring, after all.
via

What's your go-to style for the spring and summer? Any tips, techniques or products you swear by?

6 comments:

  1. Sock buns are my fave right now, and they will be even better this summer in the heat. I love that you incorporated a scarf/bandana in with it. I've never thought to do that, but I definitely will now! xoxo, morgan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great look for spring and summer! Love the first image!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the first and the last! Super stylish :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Sassy sock buns all around! :) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are my two faves, as well. :)

    ReplyDelete