11.10.2009

'First we'll make snow angels for a two hours, then we'll go ice skating, then we'll eat a whole roll of Tollhouse Cookiedough as fast as we can...'

I am a total sucker for the holidays. Capital S, ucker. Christmas is probably my favorite, but mostly because I get an excuse to wear PJs with penguins and candy canes all over them, even if just for one night. (Tho, who am I kidding, I've already busted them out a few times this fall.) But the whole season, with its hoopla, sparkly lights (real purdy), and jingle bells (I'm gonna mug one of those Salvation Army guys one day; they can keep the cash, I'm after the bell. And Santa hat!), makes me an absolute lunatic and happy beyond all reason. Like cupcakes.

I try to pack as many seasonal delights into November and December as possible. Some of my personal favorites:

- Ice skating around giant Christmas trees
- Attend a Christmas-themed play or music performance (DSO and FWSO are the front-runners this year as we did the Rockettes last year)
- Decorate the trees (family tree and Charlie Brown tree for my room)
- Driving around and looking at Christmas lights
- Trying to locate a Santa who will let me sit in his lap...not in the naughty way
- Planning excuses to wear red satin, tights, and fake eyelashes
- Buying gifts for children after my own heart via the Angel Trees around town
- Dancing with the Shamans in hopes of a snow-filled day (or eight)
- Wearing mittens and a scarf on any day that falls below sixty-eight degrees
- Watching Elf. 100 times. A day.
- Boo-hooing like a fool to Amy Grant's "Grown Up Christmas List"...and pretty much any Carpenters Christmas tune

I hope you all enjoy this season as much as I. And if you're feeling a little bah-humbug or need a dose of Christmas cheer, give me a call and I'll show up with my emergency kit: hot chocolate, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, snowglobes, and candy cane striped socks. It's gonna be OK.

6 comments:

  1. Might just need to redeem that offer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elf has been the proud sponsor of my Xmas since it was released!! I watch it and Nightmare Before Christmas every year. It's tradition!!
    "What is this? Why am I sitting on paper?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have to come up here some time. Now imagine ice skating around a Christmas tree on a frozen pond, then under a wooden bridge while a one-horse open sleigh with jingle bells crosses overhead! Breath taking, in the Capital S, ucker Christmas kind of way. Can't wait to see you 'Sis! -W

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so going to disown me.

    Though I do totally tear up at Amy Grant's Grown Up Christmas List (and I love Breath of Heaven. Yes, I'm an atheist.), I have never seen Elf. Or Christmas Vacation. Or Nightmare before Christmas. Or That Thing with the Lamp Made of a Leg. Or even Miracle on 34th Street (or whatever street), Polar Express, It's a Wonderful Life...pretty much you name it, I haven't seen it.

    Except Santa Claus: The Movie and that horrid thing with Tim Allen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christamas is easily the best time of year! I really hope that your dancing with the Shamans works this year. I haven't had snow on Christmas since I was a kid.

    FYI. Any girl that shows up on my doorstep with National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation should be ready to get crushed on hard. That movie is a classic and any girl that recognizes that is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a BIG supporter of "Thanksgiving gets the shaft because of Christmas", so I typically pull out all the stops to NOT celebrate/think about/enjoy Christmas time until the day after Thanksgiving. But I live in the Lollipop Gofahne world on a daily basis, so really... snazz it up with a few twinkle lights and we can call it anything you want.

    First orders of business... I don't know Miss Wendy, but I would like to go with you to visit her STAT. Skated my whole life, check. Have I ever skated once on a frozen pond? Nope.

    Second, operation eliminate the scrooge in Shine's movie choices immediately. Not in a "you must believe the hocus pocus of Christmas" way, but in a... "if there were a super dooper gushy chick flick with hot boys, I would make you watch it with hot chocolate and be a pretty pretty princess with me for the evening" way.

    Please to get on both things pronto! Muah!

    ReplyDelete