1.24.2012

Vegetarian lasagna. Yum.

Confession: I have never before made lasagna.

OK, real confession: I didn't own a proper baking dish (other than an apparatus that could bake brownies, of course) until, oh, this past Thanksgiving. A baking cook, I am not. (Is that a thing? Anyway.) 

But I ventured out of my comfort zone, inspired by my recently acquired Appetite for Reduction cookbook, and attempted Isa's Roasted Cauliflower Ricotta and Spinach Lasagna. (I knew I was in good hands given my last successful experiment with PPK's Ancho Lentil Tacos recipe.) I was also inspired by fellow blogger Melissa's 12 Meals in 12 Months in 2012 project to flex my cooking muscles a bit by branching out. I'm so enjoying tackling new recipes, even if they're not amazing the first time. (I may throw a tiny hissy fit when it doesn't turn out well, but that's a Type A chef for ya!)

Y'all, it was delicious. Vegan lasagna. And it was delicious. It took an hour and forty-five minutes (mostly because I didn't properly record the ingredients before shopping and I checked and rechecked the instructions about a hundred times before proceeding...and the lasagna noodles scared me). But it was delicious. M and I polished off every last bit of it. (OK, he only had one serving. But this makes delicious leftovers, and I am not even a leftovers girl!)


I admit, I augmented the recipe just a smidge but adding some freshly shredded Parmesan and panko to create a light, cheesy crust. So, vegan no more. But the heart wants what it wants.

This dish was served with some phenomenal Cabernet from Leoness Cellars in Temecula (courtesy of my dad's lovely girlfriend, Cynthia), French bread, and a salad: mixed greens and spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, feta, and almond slices, topped with olive oil and balsamic vinaigrette.

Light a candle and you've got yourself a date. Even if it's with yourself. Party on.


If you haven't already, hop on over to Do I Even Like This? to check out my bag spill. (Yes, I put my non-coordinating purse contents out there for all to see. You're welcome.)

21 comments:

  1. Hey Natalie! That looks really good for the 1st try! Go YOU! HaHaHa So glad you two enjoyed it :) Recipes are meant to be tweaked. It's always good to add your own touch. Have a great day!

    http://averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum is right! That all sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still think you should call these "Cooking With Cottrell", but I digress. I love me some meat, but this lasagna looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks really yummy and a great way to get more vegetables in my husband's diet. I will be giving this a try (with your suggested Parmesan and panko of course.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha. Thanks, girl! I was very pleasantly surprised, no lie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! Let me know what you think. I will say that I wish I had used roasted stewed tomatoes for a little bit of depth. The canned toms I used were more on the tangy side. Not bad, but I think I may even try fire roasted for the next go-'round. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so good and the Panko crumbs sound like a welcome addition. Sometimes we just need some hearty comfort food! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so good and the Panko crumbs sound like a welcome addition. Sometimes we just need some hearty comfort food! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds yummy! I'm not sure why (esp bc Im not a vegetarian) but I love vegetarian lasagna more than regular lasagna.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been looking for a good referral for Veggie Lasagna. This sounds delish! thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks incredible! I actually love vegetarian lasagnes. I'm not a fan of red meat. Here's a quick and easy recipe that I've used many times. I can't make it too often because hubby looks like I'm putting him through water torture whenever there isn't a slab of meat on the table. Hey! That's a great idea. Whenever hubby drives me crazy, he'll get served vegetarian meals for the week. Perfect revenge. Ooops. Too much info!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. thanks for sharing im going to make this! I also love love love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My pleasure! I hope you and your fam like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haha! You crack me up. I know guys can be tough to please with veggies alone. I bet you could try adding a bit of ground turkey to something like this. I couldn't tell you how, though; it's been far too long since I've cooked meat. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so very much! I appreciate your comment and hope you enjoy the dish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks so much for the mention Natalie...

    And this really sounds very, very good! Especially the salad you paired with it, YUM!

    Hooray! for being culinary adventurers :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think other web site proprietors should take this site as an model, very clean and fantastic user genial style and design, as well as the content. You are an expert in this topic!
    Kaiser Bakeware LaForme Plus 12-Inch Half Round Loaf Pan

    ReplyDelete
  18. Haha! That was a great suggestion. Noted. Again. :)

    ReplyDelete