4.07.2010

We on a budget, y'all!

As not everyone is exactly rolling in the dough at the moment (or, um, ever), I would like to share some of my favorite beauty products that get me by day-to-day. Many of you have already checked out my Desert Island List (thank you for reading!), but, admittedly, many of these gems are just a little too much for the average gal to spend on cosmetics.

Most of the items I included here are pretty easy to find at your local drug store, so I'm not going to go link-happy as I did before. (You're welcome.)

All items are under $10, unless otherwise noted!

FACE WASH - Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash
EXFOLIANT - St. Ives Apricot Blemish Control Scrub
EYE CREAM - The Body Shop's Vitamin E Eye Cream ($17)
ZIT CREAM - Proactiv's Refining Mask ($12)
MOISTURIZER - Olay Complete Moisturizing Lotion with SPF 15
SUNSCREEN (FACE) - Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch 55 w/Helioplex

PRIMER - Boots No7 Mattifying Makeup Base*
FOUNDATION - Neutrogena Healthy Skin Liquid Makeup ($12)
POWDER - Physicians Formula Natural Origins Loose Powder ($14)
CONCEALER - Physicians Formula Powder Finish Concealer Stick
BLUSH - Physicians Formula Powder Palette Multi-Colored Blush ($11)
EYE SHADOW - Sonia Kashuk for Target
EYE LINER - Origins Automagically pencil ($14.50)
MASCARA - Maybelline Great Lash
LIPS - Burt's Bees Lip Shimmer

SHAMPOO - Matrix Biolage Ultra-Hydrating Shampoo (~$16)
CONDITIONER - Biolage Intensive Strengthening Masque (~$18)
STYLING LOTION - Sebastian Potion 9 ($16)
TOOL - Bobbypins**

LOTION - Anything from Nivea
SUNSCREEN (BODY) - Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch 55 w/Helioplex

NAIL POLISH - Essie's Ballet Slippers

Please keep in mind that I have been very spoiled the majority of my adult life by working for plastic surgeons, medical spas, and dermatologists, so I am not as savvy when it comes to some of the better beauty steals (because I've been able to get "the good stuff" for half price and therefore haven't spent as much time playing trial-and-error with the OTC stuff). I know I have quite a few fabulous followers who are veritable masters when it comes to the loot available at CVS, Duane Reade, Walgreens, Target, etc., so please feel free to chime in with some of your top choices as well!

*Not all primers are/need to be mattifying, per se, but as I'm a combo-skin girl living in Texas, oil control is a must. Not to mention, if you notice your makeup doesn't look right during the spring/summer, oil is the likely culprit as it can change the pigment of your powder, blush, etc.
**Channel Audrey with a little chignon and call it a day. Thrifty chic!

8 comments:

  1. I always keep an eye out for the deals on shampoos and conditioners a lot of places like Ulta do the buy 2 for $20 once and a while. It's a great way to stock up on the good stuff so that when you need it you have it (for cheap).

    ReplyDelete
  2. The St. Ives scrub is my favourite face-maintenance product. :-) I'm going to start using the neutrogena helioplex sunscreen this summer..do you know if it's good for sensitive skin? I am prone to really bad eczema. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Chicken, Oh, excellent point! That is an awesome time to load up on the good junk.

    @Debbie, Across the board, derms seem to recommend Neutrogena sunscreens (as far as OTC stuff) BECAUSE they don't seem to exacerbate skin issues/sensitivities. It hasn't given me any grief, but please let me know how you do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tips! Very useful.

    Off to buy some Burt's Bees lip shimmer now...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE THIS! Thank you!!! I also love the exfoliant - perhaps better than some of my more expensive formulas which aren't, uh, gritty (??) enough for me? Also going to try that primer as I am trying to control my budget and your other recs seem awesome/I trust your judgement! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this. SO, SO Natalie-tat. Also, I've never used a bobby-pin in my whole life. No joke. So if you could add that to the list of things, "you have to show me about being a girl"...I'd appreciate it. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the recommendations! I really, really love the Boots line at Target. Their body scrubs are divine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Personally, I love Aveeno face products. And if I'm going with OTC (not that there isn't a counter everywhere I buy beauty stuff) mascara, I think L'Oreal has some of the best ones.

    And Cover Girl anything? Can kiss my ass.

    That's right, Tyra, I said it. COVER GIRL CAN KISS MY ASS.

    ReplyDelete