6.11.2010

Belly up goes the talent pool...

So I've begun the job search in preparation for my August move to Austin, TX.

(Oh, hi. I'm back, by the way. Ish.)

While combing through Craig's List, I've noticed a most unfortunate trend in job postings: employers seem to expect/hope/assume that job-seekers will meet a hefty barrage of requirements for any given job (and no, calling a receptionist a "Customer Concierge" does not warrant such demands), including the mastery of multiple languages, their specific computer software, and an advanced degree to boot. In return, they are willing to offer a whole nine dollars per hour.

Can you hardly stand it?

I know, I know, I know. "It's a rough economy."

And to that I say...

Maybe if employers kept all those hapless, careless morons off the clock (AND AWAY FROM MY COFFEE), they might have the spare cash and space for some over-qualified employees who would relish the chance to make ends meet on, say, a whopping twelve dollars an hour.

Employment or otherwise, you get what you pay for, yo.

6 comments:

  1. You've been missed on my blog roll. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holla!

    I know it's a bad economy and all, but its just ridiculous. The credentials for the 'good' jobs are insane. The experience alone requirements are scary, not to mention the educational (and by that I mean learning on your own things they didn't teach you in college) demands.

    Good luck, lady, I'm joining ya in this good 'ol search soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find job searching so disconcerting most times. I look for a job in my field and all I see are things I don't even remotely qualify for. It's not that I couldn't probably do these jobs, I just don't have the credentials they demand. It just sucks sometimes, but don't give up! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, ugh, ugh. I would definitely be looking for a new job if it weren't for crap like this.

    Le sigh. So sorry, hon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear the job hunt isn't going well, but I think that's especially true in Austin. I had trouble getting work there back in '03!

    Keep on truckin'!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Or...you could stay here and play with me!!

    ReplyDelete