12.13.2011

These Are a Few of my Favorite Things...

As much as I adore raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens (and I do!), my taste is generally a bit more pricey and a lot more sentimental. Rather than putting together a wish list this year, I am ruminating on the items already in my possession that still make me feel like it's Christmas morning every time I play with them! 


Say what you will about luxury brands, but it means something to me to be able to own a few special pieces from the labels I've adored from afar for many years. I know that my identity is not tied to what brands I wear, and I've never gone into debt over luxury items. I don't take for granted the indulgence of slipping my Burberry cashmere scarf around my neck, or pulling out my LV Zippy Organizer on a daily basis. These items are practical and beautiful, and though I use them regularly (rather than keeping them in a hermetically sealed chamber, for example), I take care of my things so that they last and can be passed on to my super sassy daughter (or nieces, if God graces me with little dudes).

I have probably purchased a dozen bottles of Essie's Ballet Slippers over the years. When it comes to my fair fingers and toes, there is no more perfect color than this. And the image this shade calls to mind makes this former ballerina want to pirouette. Something else that makes me dancey? My cocoa n.a.p. Cuddle Blanket. I keep this super soft blankie folded over my couch, and I'm pretty sure it gets some good cuddles every single day.

Some of my favorite decor pieces are those that have been gifted to me by my terribly cool friends. One of my besties brought me back a beautiful jade owl (with a smaller owl nested within it's intricately carved body) from her honeymoon in Jamaica. This little guy lives in a nesting box in my room, and I think of Aliss every time I see it. I have memories like this scattered all over my apartment, which is one of the reasons I think I love being at home so much. It is littered with love and tokens from my dear friends.

Blah, blah, blah, diamonds are a girl's best friend. I don't like shiny baubles just for the sake of pretty shiny. (Well, OK, maybe a wee bit.) But among my favorite items within my jewelery box are my mom's pearl earrings and the diamond ring she bought for me when I turned 21. She wore those earrings when she married my dad, and I just love the simple elegance of them. I absolutely adore her wedding ring from Pops, but that's not for playing with just yet. Jewelery is special and timeless, but it is the memories attached to those pieces that make them absolutely priceless.

What are some of your favorite things?

14 comments:

  1. I too love Essie nail polish, but my favorite is in Eternal Happiness. Awesome that you own Burberry and LV...I can't wait to save up for items like those! Cute blog! :) You just got a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto on the polish. And I have to echo the sentiments about the love of a little luxury. My Goyard pieces are among some of my favorite things that I own. To me, the craftsmanship makes them little works of usable art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Essie polish but I haven't tried this shade - I think I should!!

    http://missbbobochic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just adore it. It's very subtle, but my hands feel naked without it. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Exactly! To some extent, sure, I'm probably paying for the name. But I'm also paying for an item that won't crap out after few months. I honestly think it all evens out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay!! Welcome, Anna! So nice to have you. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are all fabulous things! :)

    Some of my favorite things include my wedding ring (obviously), my DSLR camera, and the turquoise le creusart pot that we got as a wedding gift!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are all wonderful things...

    Right now my favorite things are my Lululemon pants, perfume Cleopatra by Tocca, my newest shade of lipstick (MAC Viva Glam I) and am obsessed with burning the Voluspa candle in Goji & Tarocco Orange.

    J

    ReplyDelete
  9. essie ballet slippers is the best!! trombone (my favorite bright red) is a close second :) xx.

    Oh - Fancy That.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw, those are great things, Melissa! I'd love to have a proper camera and pots/pans to play with. Maybe if I learn how I'd use them, they will come. Hehe. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooo, awesome list! I haven't sniffed that Voluspa scent yet, but I love their candles.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So funny, my other two faves are dark purple (Lincoln Park After Dark) and bright red (Big Apple Red). Quite the extremes. Haha!

    Thanks for the comment, Lily!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nothing beats the classics. Love my LV bag and accessories that go along with it. Love my pearls. I so agree with you. :D
    http://sassyuptownchic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely! I don't buy things just because they're deemed fashionable or timeless by whoever. But items like those you've mentioned really are. Lovely and great quality...count me in! :)

    ReplyDelete