10.25.2009

All Good Things Come to an End

I believe there are situations in which much of something's awesomeness is a direct result of its brevity. Like a fling; if you had to belabor the saucy excitement with long-term stuff, it wouldn't be nearly as much fun. Hypothetically.

But there are some films, songs, moments, etc. that I wish could last forever...or at least a bit longer than they do. They nag at my consciousness unlike other equally enjoyable songs, movies, experiences because they leave me unsated. I'm just not one of those people who can listen to a song (for example) over and over for fear of getting to the point where I never want to hear it again. It's an interesting conundrum, but if you've ever OD'd on a great thing, you know what I'm talking about. (Eating a whole cheesecake does not mean you'll be exponentially happier than, say, if you just ate a piece or two. Just so you know.)

These are a few of my favorite (abridged) things:

- "Under the Milkway Tonight" by The Church
- "Beyond the Sea" by Bobby Darin
- "At Last" by Etta James
- "Blue Highway" by Farside
- "Love Will Tear Us Apart" by Joy Division
- Donnie Darko (Theatrical Release or Director's Cut)
- Amelie
- High Fidelity
- Breakfast at Tiffany's
- V for Vendetta

- The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
- A Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
- the tranquility after a full-body massage
- a spine-tingling kiss
- wrapping up in a cuddy blankie after being cold

If only our "happy place" could exist always. But then, would it really be so wonderful an escape if it was so readily available? Me thinks not.

ADDENDUM: Forgot "Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want" by The Smiths (10/27/09)

4 comments:

  1. Nice one. I will say that High Fidelity is easily one of my favorite movies. It makes seeing someone in a Cosby sweater a day changing event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so meant to be....

    Amelie is my all-time favorite movie. Love that film.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way for Gavin Degraw's "More than Anyone". I have no idea why.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so agree with the notion of this post, and Breakfast at Tiffany's!! I wish it went on forever!! But I'm sure I'd tire of it if I watched it on repeat and it wouldn't have that same nostalgic feel.

    ReplyDelete