11.21.2009

Walk It Off

I am the first to admit that I tend to dwell and bitch/moan more often that I should about my past heartbreaks, especially considering I am OK. At the moment, at least.

But I've recently (like, today) decided to put that baggage behind me and consider it merely an interesting few chapters of my life. I've been cheated on, lied to, deceived, manipulated, betrayed, blah, blah, blah. But I've learned from it and consider myself better because of it all. I'm not nearly as uncompromising and heartless as I used to be (...if you can imagine that).

The impetus for this decision? A very wise friend pointed out that someone always has it worse than I. And she's right. My heartbreak never resulted in custody battles, restraining orders (tho I considered it) and/or other legal action, division of property, tattoo removal, etc. So what the hell am I whining about?

I'm not saying that my heartaches have been less painful because of the absence of these matters. One doesn't necessarily dictate the other. But it does mean that I was allowed to endure my pain with far less distraction. Who wouldn't wish for such a luxury at such a time?

Next time your heart is broken (in any way shape or form), take stock of what you've endured and grieve as you see fit. But, at some point, know that you must--and more importantly can--let it go. Don't let that pain and subsequent behavior define you.

Now, for those of you wreaking all this havoc, know that you will be remembered for what you've done to the people who were naive enough to love/trust you that much. That guilt is much harder to shake than the pain you inflict. Perhaps we should all keep this in mind the next time we are tempted to behave badly or selfishly.

I wish you all an open heart and an unburdened mind...

P.S. This is apropos absolutely nothing. I have the best friends and can only anticipate the concerned texts and phone calls if I don't stipulate that. I heart y'all.

3 comments:

  1. You've been cheated on? Sistahs were right, men are insane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hallelujah and Amen, Sister. You're third paragraph said alot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great one Natalie. Having been on boths sides of a realationship gone wrong I agree with you 100%. It's important to let the past go, forget what you could have done different, and learn from your experiance.

    ReplyDelete