5.16.2013

Audrey Sketch for the Nightstand

M and I moved into our master bedroom just a few months ago (we lived in the guest room after the wedding, pending his bed's transport from his prior residence), so that room is coming together a little more slowly than others. But we really enjoy taking the time to find cool pieces at the right price, so it's a process we're willing to endure. We decided to go with an Old Hollywood feel, while trying to keep it balanced for both him and her. (We're quite fortunate that we have similar taste and that we're drawn to the same aesthetic.)

We recently purchased the bedside tables we'd been eyeing for a while (M got Pier 1's Hayworth Chest, and I got the matching nightstand.) Once we agreed that mixing up the pieces was a good call (M is big on symmetry so this took some time to grow on him), it was time to start the styling process. We're still far from done, but we already had our lamps on hand (having purchased them months before during a fortuitous trip to Home Goods), and I already had an idea in my mind for what mine would look like. I knew succulents were involved, and really hoped I could find an awesome sketch or personal art piece to incorporate. 

So I hit up Etsy and very quickly landed on the perfect piece: a charcoal sketch of Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's. I don't ever want to go overboard with kitsch, but I just heart Ms. Hepburn, and this movie makes me really happy. The moment captured, in particular, is one of my favorites. Lovely gal, all alone in the wee hours of the morning, just her and her city...and a donut and coffee. Good stuff.


I'm not a fan of over-doing functional spaces (such as a nightstand), but I'm sure I'll add some more elements over time. (A simple, modern catch-all might be a nice addition.) For M's chest, we're keeping it pretty simple for now with a classic alarm clock (which for the life of us we can't figure out how to use for the alarm, thank you, Pottery Barn!) and a rustic pillar candle.

What are your nightstand must-haves?

No comments:

Post a Comment