2.07.2012

Lookbook: Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day is just a week away, and though I imagine M and I will stay in or do something low key (that's how we roll...plus, crowds make me stabby), I still ponder the perfect outfit for a Valentine's date. While most nights in generally consist of me curling up under a blanket in PJ pants, a giant sweatshirt and my hair in a ragamuffin bun (poor M...), I think it's nice to dress up for a proper date, even if you're just cooking together and dining quietly as a couple. My rule of thumb: if we're eating at the table, comfies can wait; if we're eating in front of the TV, bring on the stretchy pants! 

I typically avoid looks that are too cutesy or precious (because I'm petite and want to avoid pats on the head and cheek pinches), so in the spirit of V-day, this ensemble captures the flirtiness of the occasion while still managing to be simple and appropriate for a domestic date...

Lancome Juicy Tubes // Alice and Olivia tunic // 1928 vintage heart necklace
Feather wrap ring // DSW Crown Vintage wedge // Mademoiselle body oil

No-nonsense pieces, kissable lips and shimmery skin...all good things. Valentine's Day is a romantic day, indeed, and tasteful styling can still be incorporated into an ensemble fit for gazing into each others eyes and holding hands over candlelight. (Such a girl, seriously.) This dress is romantic while providing coverage, and these wedges will do wonders for the legs. There is more than enough going on here to convey feminine beauty without flashing too much skin, especially if you couple this look with a heartfelt love letter (to your man, your bestie, your parents, whoever you chose to love on this year!) and an environment cultivated with care and warmth. Now that's sexy, y'all.

Side note: if y'all haven't already, be sure to check out Anna's weekly installments of True Beauty Files over at In Honor of Design. It's so encouraging to see her adorable looks (as well as those of the many gals who link up with their creations) and reminder that you can be classy and fashionable. 


What will you be wearing this V-day? (Sweat pants and a tee is a perfectly acceptable answer, yo.)

13 comments:

  1. Sweatpants and a tee for sure Natalie! hahaha I'm single. LOL But I never liked going out on that actual day anyway. Restaurants are always crowded. Large groups of people around always make me nervous. I love that dress. So soft and flow-y! I've always been a fan of chiffon. Have a great day!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a perfect Valentine's dress - feminine, floaty and just the right colour too (reminds me of deep red roses) I love your phrase 'domestic date' and so right to dress up for it if you're sitting at the table.

    http://missbbobochic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree; It's hard to feel romantic when you're crammed into a loud restaurant. I adore this dress too. So feminine. :) Enjoy your V-day in your comfies, girl! Not a bad way to spend an evening. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Miss B! :D Hope you have a lovely one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to avoid the cutesy route as well. Short + dimples = no little heart printed tops pour moi. I've never been huge on going out for Valentine's Day but I also like to elevate things a bit with candles and a cute outfit. I'm prob going with black skinnies and a toast colored silk blouse. The hubs acts like it's a major even when I'm not in head to toe black so that should be sufficiently exciting. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha! Aw, I bet you'll look beautiful. :) I have a beige silk blouse and it's one of my absolute faves. Silk is very romatic, so I say party on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That dress is so pretty. It would look so great on you with your brunette hair. You should totally get it!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Deb! I'm not gonna lie, I'm tempted. Haha. Alice and Olivia seem to keep coming up on my radar.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is most certainly perfect for a date--without being vampy in the slightest! I love it! that dress is seriously gorgeous :) you're great at these outfit boards--I'd love to have you as a part of our Friday's Fancies family. It's all about creating dreamy outfits like this one! hope you have a happy Valentine's Day! xoxo {av}

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you! That'd be wonderful! I do love reading all the fabulous Friday Fancies posts. I'll be touching base with you. :) Happy V-day to you as well! xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great dress with lovely accessories to go with it!
    Hope you have a wonderful Valentine's day!!

    ReplyDelete