5.22.2013

{Wedding Wednesday} Bridal Details

Some brides dream of their wedding dress for ages. I honestly didn't think too much about it until I was engaged, but I pretty quickly honed in on what I wanted: simple silhouette, sweetheart neckline, modern lace, and comfortable. I didn't want anything too fussy that would require extensive undergarments. 

M's mom and two sisters came with me to shop, and it was so helpful to have them with me. Lucky for me, I fell for the second dress I tried on. I tried on one more, just to say I tried a Wang, but I was sold already. And once the dress was locked in, everything else fell right into place...




The dress came with an attached soft white ribbon belt, but I was not a fan. I looked at several sashes, balking at the price of what was essentially ribbon with some sparklies on it. (I swear, anything with "wedding" in the title costs at least twice what you'd expect.) My Anthropologie catalog arrived shortly thereafter, and after flipping a few pages, I knew I had found my belt. It was gray, elegant, and priced well. Done and done.


We starting planning our outdoor, fall wedding and wanted the event to feel like an intimate dinner party (for, you know, 180 people). We were graciously offered our venue of choice (a beautiful private lake house where we had spent several peaceful weekends as guests of the family). I knew that my aisle would be a path of stone stairs leading down the backyard descending toward the lake, so flats were an easy decision for me. I opted for TOMS ballet flats in gray linen.


I tend to favor simple, modest accessories, and didn't want to deviate from my usual style for the Big Day. (I like the philosophy of looking like the best version of yourself on your wedding day.) Both my engagement ring and wedding band are gold, so I opted for dainty gold pieces that would compliment the dress and gray pieces. I found both my earrings and bracelet on Etsy, and could hardly wait to sport my new monogram!


In the same vein of sticking with my signature style, I opted to do my own makeup and had my sister-in-law do my hair. Getting ready in my room, listening to The Civil Wars, and visiting with friends as they circulated throughout the day was such a precious way to spend those hours before finally getting to lay my eyes on my groom. The final detail: a spritz of my favorite scent.


There is so much to be said for trusting your gut and making decisions that allow you to feel beautiful and comfortable on your wedding day. Don't feel like you have to keep up with the high-end weddings that pepper Pinterest and bridal magazines. It's unnecessary stress. It's about you and your handsome groom, celebrating your love and pledging to honor one another for life. 

You'll be glowing, I assure you.  


Photos: {1-5} Kim Hayes Photography, {6} Ron Gonzalez (my brother-in-law!)
Dress: Galina
Shoes: TOMS
Belt: Anthropologie
Earrings: Le Petit Ruban {Etsy}
Bracelet: Marinette Jewelry {Etsy}

{More of our wedding details}

4 comments:

  1. Your wedding look was head to toe flawless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I'm Ginny a new blogger from NC! I Just found you through Belle in Boot's linkup. I'm getting married in a year and am excited to read blogs about weddings. This is exactly the type of blog I'm looking for. I enjoyed this post and the fact that you stayed true to who you are. You look beautiful in your pictures. Very natural. I thought about doing my hair. I'm still not sure but I have time. I can't wait to look through your blog more for extra bridal tips.

    Ginny (buttergirldiaries.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Earrings and wedding shoes are so beautiful and fine-looking. I’ve totally fallen in love with the whole accessories of your wedding due to their eye-catching abilities.
    wedding venue in essex , essex wedding venue , corporate venue essex

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remember that you don't need to forego quality to keep away from high costs. You can even discover high quality adornments sets for the lady of the hour and marriage chaperons at deal costs and still feel special on the grounds that nobody else has what you have. handpicked bridal jewellery

    ReplyDelete