11.28.2009

The Borgs are Winning

(I'm going to make this snappy as I've been listening to screaming tweens for the better part of the day...)

Dear Captcha,

I hate you.

I can appreciate your general purpose, and I understand that by nature you must be tricky, but how the H am I supposed to prove I'm a human when I DON'T EVEN KNOW THE WORD I'M BEING ASKED TO VERIFY? I swear, you're just making shit up. Oh, I didn't correctly identify the word selection? Probably because IT'S NOT AN ACTUAL WORD. Strung together letters do not a word make, dammit.

And all the squigglies and smushing going on? I about give myself a stroke trying to figure out the phrase following the fraction. (Fractions, for crying out loud!!)

I get enough attitude from humans. I really, really don't need this grief from the machines I've come to rely on with a very unhealthy zeal. Every time I get whammied for screwing up one of your cruel little riddles, scenes from I, Robot come flashing back and I'm pretty sure you're about to red light my ass.

Please don't.

Smell You Later,
Natalie Cottrell

P.S. I'm not even going to go into how wrong it is that I've come to seek permission to carry on my business about the internets from a cyber bouncer.

3 comments:

  1. I was actually kind of hoping that you would have a captcha on your comments. I actually didn't mind them at first, when it was just typing a few letters that were slightly skewed. Now they've become so convoluted I've only got about a 50% chance of getting it right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love when they make up words and then scold you for getting them wrong! Give me a break. As if there aren't enough words in the English language for it to choose from.
    PS- It's really ironic that you have a Captcha on your comments section :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second the sentiment above. If you know how much you hate it, imagine how I feel when I have to do that and still wait for my comment to be approved.

    Please, ma'am, save us from the captcha. Thank you.

    By the way, I wrote one of these myself when I still had a captcha for my comments and got the same grief, so I'm just spreading the wealth. I'm "paying it forward," if you will. I read the most recent blog first.

    ReplyDelete