3.23.2010

[Monday Rant...a day late] - Sealtbelt Safety is a Sham!

Dear Seatbelt,

I know we've already had beef in the past given that I don't think our government should mandate grown adults to wear you. (I mean, I get the spirit of the law, but I just don't see how it's anyone's business if I want to risk flying through the windshield into oncoming traffic should I get into a collision.)

But now, I officially hate you. And I just think it's better to come straight to you about this, versus sullying your name all over town behind your back. I think we're both mature enough to handle direct confrontation, especially given our recent run-in.

I am diligent about wearing you on a regular basis (which may or may not have something to do with the fact that my uber-safe vehicle will not stop pestering me if I don't), but when my lovely gentleman and I smacked into a median this past snowy Saturday evening, you straight up screwed me. Not only did you give me a nice shiner on my chest and hips, but you did a number on my sternum as well. In fact, you gave me a straight up panic attack yesterday morning when I supposed I was bleeding internally. (I do accept some fault for this assumption. It was a bit unfounded, but I was scared. Leave it alone.) Your actions resulted in worry for my friends, my family, and the aforementioned fella, and for that, I could punch you in your shiny, smug clasp.

Had the accident been worse, we may well be having a very different conversation (if at all), but it wasn't. And so you remain on my Shit List.

I just wanted you to be aware.

I hope you're happy with yourself,
Natalie Cottrell

7 comments:

  1. Okay, while I totally agree that the government doesn't really need to be stepping in to legislate stupidity...your body on the road might cause a hazard for other motorists. So it's usually just better to wear the thing. Even if you get a bruise.

    Maybe your seatbelts are overactive?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh I'm so glad your ok!?? I have a giant fear of flying through a windshield so I always wear my seatbelt, but who knew they could be so evil. But seriously, once again.. I'm super glad you weren't hurt worse than you were!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were in a car accident?! How did I not know about this?! I'm glad to hear you're fine and all, but is your beautiful car okay?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, we were definitely lucky. Could have been so much worse. And thankfully we were in his truck. Not that I don't care about his vehicle, but the height and beef of his truck made it no big deal. My baby? Not so tough. But she sure is pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like this is a case of seat belt jealousy. Seeing as it was HIS vehicle I'm sure the seat belt had it in for you. It couldn't handle you getting all of the attention that used to be reserved for it's own selfish desires. I suggest next time it locks up on you, you flash it the scissors you've stuffed in your purse like a concealed weapon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to say I'm a bit disturbed by this post... While seat belts may be a hassle (they certainly were not designed to fit comfortably over MY chest), they save lives. Shine is right- your mutilated body in the road would be a hazard to other motorists. I had a friend in high school who was in a car accident. Everyone came out unscathed, but she wasn't wearing a seat belt and her face went through the rearview mirror and windshield. She now has permanent scars on her face that look like she was attacked by Wolverine. She is still a pretty girl, however....

    You should thank that seat belt for protecting your money maker. That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the issue you should have is not with the seatbelts but rather with the fact that they're uncomfortable as anything: campaign for seatbelts with comfier straps and the compromise will be found :D

    ReplyDelete