1.31.2012

Blousy Tops and Skinny Jeans

I finally took the plunge and bought some skinnies. I've liked this trend for a while now, but it can be tricky for the average gal to pull off. (It's quite deceiving to fall for a trend having seen it primarily on models and celebrities. I mean, uber thin and tall can pretty much pull off a burlap sack with the right shoes.) However, Fossil's Super Skinny Ankle cut was just right, and in oh-so-forgiving black denim, I simply couldn't refuse.

Having purchased some great ballet flats just weeks before, the missing element was a collection of cute tops to wear with my sassy new pieces. And I thought the search for the pants was going to be tough...

Unless you weigh around 100 pounds and/or have no hip meat, there is a balancing act that must take place in terms of proportions to avoid looking like an eggplant with legs. (Or maybe that's just me.) Blousy, longer tops would be my first choice when it comes to tapered, narrow bottoms, but I also don't want to look like I am with child. (Though I have had my fair share of food babies, let's be honest.) 

Me thinks these blouses/tunics would be flattering atop skinnies...

via
via
via
via
via
via

As you can see, my MO for avoiding eggplant arse is to taper in at the waist and give a little length up top to cover e'rything. The gold sparkler from Alice and Olivia is not usually a look I'd gravitate toward, but I'm just smitten with it! And though the last dyed-silk number is styled as a dress, I would rock it with my black skinnies anyway. Not to mention, this tunic was designed by my college roomie, Mina Stone. She's amazing, no?

Which would you wear with skinnies? Are you digging this trend or over it?


Don't forget to check out my current giveaway. Just a few days left to enter!

13 comments:

  1. Natalie, I love the 1st and last two. They would look awesome on you. Your former college roomie is VERY talented. It's beautiful.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! You will now be addicted to your skinnies. I personally jumped on the wagon of skinny denim about 2 years ago and whenever I put on non-skinny pants I don't like the way it looks. And I think its safe to say they are now more of a trend than a fad so you might see yourself purchasing a few more pairs shortly. ;) And omg... I absolutely love with a capital L that blue top with the white polka dots. I already know a few ways of how I would wear that if it were mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great choices, all but that last tunic is amazing! Kudos to your former roomie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liiiiiive for skinnies. I used to wear *only* flares, but have found that skinnies are so much more flattering on me. I've also discovered that mini-versions (aka slightly short pants) are much more flattering on me considering I have no shape haha. Hope you love your skinnies as much as I do :) All the blousy tops are lovely <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've got such a great blog, going on here! (:
    Love these pieces, especially the dress at the end!
    xx-
    Alynne
    http://allaboutalynne.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually love this trend and plan on visiting HM this weekend for a good one. Alice and Olivia's...sigh.
    Great finds Natalie:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for shopping, and at H&M at that. Hope you find some great pieces! Isn't that gold one gorgeous? I would wear that to the grocery store, to work and everywhere in between. No bad days in a top like that. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much! So nice of you to stop by and say hello. Can't wait to check out your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all your skinnies looks! They look great on you, indeed. I, too, like the way the ankle ones fit my frame; the long ones can sometimes look like confused leggings. Haha. Thanks for the comment, Tasia!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isn't is beautiful? She crafts the loveliest shapes and her dye skills are insane. And the girl can cook, let me tell you! Haha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm starting to see that, Janine. The look is so very Audrey that I can't believe I am just now considering it. But I honestly forced myself to shape up a bit so I wouldn't look like a buffalo in them. They strechy ones are pretty fantastic. Haha. And I adore that blue top as well. It's sooooo cute. And gold buttons? Yes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw, thank you! It'd be happy to own any of them. Mina is, indeed, fantastic.

    ReplyDelete