8.18.2010

Something about old dogs...

Now that I've settled in to my new apartment in southwest Austin, TX (a.k.a. the coolest city in Texas. Which isn't saying much, to be fair. But it really is awesome. And I've lived in many cool, cosmopolitan cities. So it's legit.), I've found myself trying to quickly establish some positive new behaviors/rituals. Why so quick on the draw, you ask? (Or not.) Well, I've found that I settle into routine quite expeditiously, which isn't always a good thing.

Say, for example, my former habit of rewarding "early mornings" with a large chocolate donut. Now, in and of itself, this wasn't the worst tradition ever; but when I extended "mornings" to anything in the AM half of the day, I had officially lost my marbles. That's a whole lot of eligible donut time. (And I am my mother's daughter, after all. I will take out a small child for swiping the last chocolate twist.)

These tasks don't have to be substantial or even really all that important, but I think it contributes to a simplified, well-balanced, grown up life. Like, I don't have to thrash about the house in a sweaty panic looking for my (unnecessarily large set of) keys. I know they're in the little drawer of my foyer table. (Oh yeah, I have one of those. I'm mature, see.)

They don't have to be super OCD, either. Some of them are just good, clean fun. Say, for example, waking up to my cheery iPod playlist versus the God-awful, stabby-making beep. I don't know about you, but nothing gets me off to a lovely start like waking to The Temper Trap. And coffee. Natch.

Well, that's enough Nesting with Natty for today. Stay tuned for adventures in decorating sans symmetry. It's all the rage. So I'm told.

6 comments:

  1. My post about this exact same thing (sans chocolate doughnuts) is going up tomorrow.

    And I've always had a hook by the door for my keys. I'm legitimately puzzled by people who are always looking for their keys. And before last weekend, I wasn't exactly one of those "organized" folks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I love the new look!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Shine, Well, the key thing is really more of a hypothetical. I don't really misplace much. Except my dignity on occasion. And thanks! Can't wait to read your post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I have the same key thing! Except it's a bowl/catch-all at my front door. I really love not losing my mind when it comes to my keys. I can't wait to start my new "routine" set-up whe. I get moved this weekend. Its hard having one of those with a roommate. Also, I'm going to be in ATX over labor day weekend. We should go swim in the greenbelt. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so excited that you're getting settled into your new digs. A place to start new traditions and new routines, although I'd skip on the donuts daily...maybe just on the weekends. Can't wait to pop in and visit next time I'm in town!

    ReplyDelete