8.05.2010

Something magical is afoot...

I've said it before, but still riding the waves of emotion that come when a project has just wrapped, I think it bears repeating that there is something uniquely wonderful and enchanting about being on set.

Tonight we wrapped filming on the web series Throwing Stones. This is a project I jumped at the chance to work on, knowing I would have to pray for an opportunity to arise for me behind the camera (seeing as the characters, with one exception, are high school students...and the wrinkles on my face say that is just not going to happen). I was elated when the producers/writers/directors/kings-o'-awesomeness offered me the chance to head up the Art Department, which primarily consisted of transforming existing schools into our beloved Blair High School (eat your heart out, Shermer!) and managing the various (awesome) props needed for this horror treat.

Not only was I blessed to work with a ridiculously talented cast and crew (all of whom happened to be some of the most fun, easy-going, hilarious people I've had the pleasure of meeting in this business), but I also had the opportunity to partake in the filmmaking process in a very real way. My opinions in terms of performances, shot angles, content, etc. were not only sought out, but appreciated and valued. Every second that I spend on set will inevitably make me a more effective member of this wonderful community, but getting to participate in the production process has also made me a better actress. Not to mention, my love for this crazy business has never felt deeper nor stronger.

It seems that every time I contemplate moving away from this business, something wonderful happens that pulls me back in and reminds me why I've been involved in this world for over two decades now. It's truly a gift that I feel I receive over and over again.

Or, more specifically, every time I step on set.

7 comments:

  1. It's like the mafia, every time you try to get out, it pulls you right back in! I've been trying to get out of theatre for years!! And wrinkles on your face? You lie! :-O

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Welcome back. The blog world missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome, Nat! Sounds like good news and experiences, indeed.
    Actress, Writer and now Art Director. What's next on the your repertoire resume? A.Novelist, B.Screenwriter, C.Director, OR D. all the above. Definitely D. Right?!

    Michael Corleone: Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited it all went so well for you and can't wait to read about what's next!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just now finding your blog so I can stalk you.

    -- Bart

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems that every time I contemplate moving away from this business, something wonderful happens that pulls me back in and reminds me why I've been involved in this world for over two decades now. It's truly a gift that I feel I receive over and over again.

    yep.

    ReplyDelete