12.01.2011

[Inspired Thursdays, v.6] This Booty Isn't Going to Walk Itself

I like to eat. I like to eat a lot. I like to eat a lot of yummy (read: naughty) food.

The problem? I'm have been pretty undisciplined as of late when it comes to working off said yummy/naughty eats. It's one thing to enjoy food and maintain a balance of healthy sustenance and indulgent happiness, but the scales have tipped (literally) when clothes are tight, skin is dull, energy is low and you can't remember the last time you had three meals in a row with lots of vegetables.

Many of us know this cycle all too well, so I won't belabor y'all with my whining. (Mostly because this is completely within my control and I've simply been lazypants.)

However, I am thankful to report that I finally mustered the decisiveness to hop back on that treadmill. I have gone back and forth with exercise for most of my life, and since moving from a very active, health-conscious town like Austin, I have chosen to spend most evenings comfortably lazing on the couch, wondering why my pajama pants are the only clothes I love anymore. (A travesty given my wardrobe is quite nice in my estimation.) The attitudes that creep in when you don't feel healthy (which is not necessarily the same thing as overweight) are the worst and can be quite debilitating.

I am definitely the type who gets super amped about working out, stocking up on running pants and fueling up on good protein and water throughout the day, then fizzles out a month in and plants myself on the well-worn couch with a bag of Flaming Hot Cheetos. But I choose to focus on the starting again. Over and over.

True, my zeal may not last forever. But I will feel better, look better and behave better if I at least keep at it. I saw a quote somewhere (probably Pinterest, nerd) that said, "The hardest step for a runner is the first one out of the front door." True story.

Source

One of these days my silly self will fully appreciate the many benefits of maintaining an active, healthy lifestyle (not just in theory, but in practice), each time incorporating a few more positive behaviors into my core. Some can make a decision overnight and stick to it. But I know I am of the flaky variety, and so the inch-by-inch approach works for me. You have to do what works for you, but relish in the high of a nice sweat sesh or treating your body right with proper nutrition for a few days. If you can, you should.

What are your favorite ways to stay active and healthy?

4 comments:

  1. First - Flaming Hot Cheetos. I thought I was the only one who indulged in those things! I may have just found my blogging soul mate. haha

    Second - I relate to this more than I should. Environment plays such a critical role in our well-being. When I lived in CA I was never in good enough shape; always relishing in some other girls amazing abs. But here in Oklahoma…heavier people are (seemingly) the majority. It really skews your perspective. Working out religiously is crazy to people here. I can't even tell you how many times I've hear "I'd rather be fat and happy." Why not take care of yourself and be happy? Having a healthy heart has nothing to do with being pretty. I hate that women see working out as something that makes them worse about themselves when it should be empowering them!

    Just last week I rejoined a gym and I could not be more happy. I have a treadmill at the house, but I like variety. After a few weeks going to the gym will be like brushing my teeth and that makes me happy! :) Enjoy those endorphins while you can, right?!

    BTW - in RE: to your comment on my post; I've had checkers at the grocery store ask me what vegetable they were holding. It was shocking! How do you not know your vegetables? It was a red pepper not a cumquat! It makes me sad that people don't know what their salsa looked like before it was made.

    Sorry for the novel! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Girl, I love me some FHC. My stomach has built up a special lining to handle their flaming amazingness.

    I totally hear you. I have lived in SoCal, NYC and ATX, all places where working out and being thin is "in." Fort Worth...we like steak, potatoes and sitting around these parts. Haha. But there is always a way to get moving and find something good (as in healthy) to eat. My effort has been lagging, big time.

    So stoked to hear you are having a great time with your gym. I'm still doing the treadmill at the house, but I know I'll get bored soon so I'm contemplating a ballet class or something for variety. And walking the dogs is always fun. :)

    See, I thought I was just a veggie snob because I worked as a cashier for Whole Food for a bit (hello, fourteen varieties of onions), but I get puzzled looks from checkers all the time at the grocery store. "Uh, is this a pepper?" ((Sigh)) "No, dear, it's yellow squash." The hell.

    Thanks so much for your comment! Made my day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nat, I fully support you on this because I need to do the same. I have one more major dental appointment coming up this Monday and then it's on. We can support one another. How's that?
    http://sassyuptownchic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a plan! Thanks, Kim!! :D Good luck with your appointment on Monday.

    ReplyDelete