2.15.2012

Holding Out on Him

You know that friend who only calls you when they're a hot mess? That friend who you hear from when they're down in the dumps, between relationships, or need a shoulder to cry on? Chances are, it's been so long since you last heard from them that a few consoling words won't do; it's an epic breakdown, requiring an epic consolation. Occasionally there are the obligatory inquiries about your life, but for the most part it's one-sided and exhausting.

I realized recently that I've been that person when it comes to God. When things are going well, I do say thank you and praise my blessings. But I'm not praising Him. I'm not increasing my time in his presence, pouring out my blessings to others, or growing in response to his incredible grace and love. On the other hand, when things are rough? Oh, you know I am taking up all kinds of his time. The prayers are long, the tears are heavy, and I typically spend the first half of our time together apologizing for being MIA and confessing the myriad of recent sins I've yet to take to him (much less discuss with him prior to bad decision time, imagine that). 

He never tires, which is awesome in the truest sense of that word. This fact really makes me shake my head when I think about how I've treated our relationship. And it is a relationship, y'all. He wants to be involved, to share, to be part of each moment--big or small. And I'm holding out.

I've witnessed people who dedicate their lives so thoroughly to Christ, maintaining a state of mediation with him throughout their days. This doesn't mean that the life I am witnessing is always rainbows and sunshine; in fact, it's often rife with challenge and discontent. As it should be. I've spent far too long worshipping comfort (and still do), so how can I be surprised when he rocks my world, making me uncomfortable, to get my attention and draw me close? 

There is peace in him. Big time. One can be immensely peaceful in a state of chaos. (Trust me.) One will not, however, stay active in a state of complacency. Why would you?

Regardless, He's involved. But I'm missing out. It's like the first time you encounter a healthy, real friendship; the time spent together is different, more candid, attentive, and you want to share the big, deep stuff just as much as the silly, inconsequential stuff (which doesn't really exist in true relationships...it all matters). That shapes you, emboldens you, and provides an opportunity for someone to speak into your life in love. 

What better, more fulfilling relationship could I ask for than one with The Almighty? That's everything that's anything.

10 comments:

  1. Oh, I too am guilty of this. You have such an amazing way with words. Thanks for giving me something to think about. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Debby. I've been so convicted of this lately and it just makes me feel so ashamed. Naturally, that makes me want to hide, but that's far worse and cowardly. Transparency and being known can be really challenging and humbling, that's for sure. Hope you're have a great week, friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had more than one of those kind of friends Natalie and they can definitely be exhausting. I didn't think about it the other way (myself & God). You just made me realize sometimes I can be a pain myself. HAHAHAHA Thank you for enlightening me and I need to work on that. Beautiful post! Have a great day. :)
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim, we all need to work on this. Haha. But I think the key is to praise His mercy and grace. It's amazing to know that he loves us in spite of our selfishness, but all the more reason to work on that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa girl. This is something that I am dealing with right now. I was that person. I am reminded of the prodigal son and how happy the father is when his son returns that it doesn't matter what he's been up to or why he even left in the first place. Our Savior reacts just as the father did. Yes we should confess and repent but often times I dwell on how I've been away for so long and all the sorts of no good I was up to, when really he just wants us to be delighted as he is that we've come back and feel his love. As well as to see his grace that he's given in the opportunity to even return to him at all who btw has never left our side. I find such comfort of him knowing that we are much hotter of a mess than we will ever 'fess up to being yet, he chose those very messes to die for and thought of us doing them while he suffered. Why should we hang on to those things when he just wants us to be in his prescence? I often live and walk around as if I am bound by chains when in reality I have already been set free even before I committed my first sin. Today I am humbled and encouraged.. Much love Nat for being candid and vulnerable. I needed this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Natalie, thank you for sharing this. Thank YOU so much for the reminder. Your message really spoke to me. In fact, I feel that I've neglected Him for the past month. Friends come and go. Family members may disappoint us but He never does. Yet, I've only given him a smidgeon of my attention.

    I'm so inspired by your courage to speak up about your faith. In this politically correct world and the backlash against Christianity (particularly here in the UK), many often try to remain "neutral" to gain popularity. You're my inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for the encouragement. I am working out so many things as I go, and this blog has become a place for me to hash it out. I sometimes worry that sharing my clumsy path gives the impression that I'm doing it right (or think I am...which I don't), but I hope it helps others to know that the journey is worth taking, even if we look messy or foolish in the process. And we're most definitely not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've been on my mind and in my prayers so much lately, Janine. Thank you for your words and for encouraging me, as you often do. I love the Parable of the Prodigal Son. What a beautiful, clear model of his love for us! Christ's love is something to celebrate, indeed, but I think many of us look at it as another chance to let down or disappoint. But in that mindset we're missing his grace and mercy! That's so key and a message that has been overlooked and/or missing, in my life at least. Much love, J! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am also trying to work on this. I've become more involved in my church. But when life gets too busy I sometimes forget how much I need him in my life and I feel guilty. I just know he understands and he is a part of my path. On the toughest days I go to sleep holding my Grandmothers rosary and pray that he sees my tears and will help me make it through tomorrow.
    Be proud that you are even acknowledging all of this. Even though I haven't known you that long, I know that you are an extremely strong woman, and I admire that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That means so much! I covet your prayers and absolutely can feel them being answered. :)

    ReplyDelete