9.13.2012

Online Wedding Invitations & A Bridal Meltdown

I was a bit nervous about designing and ordering budget-savvy wedding invitations online, but, alas, our pocketbook did not allow for a custom Crane suite with letterpress and gold leafing. (Not to mention, I may be a stationary snob, but paper is paper.) And physically getting the invitations has been quite stressful, between agonizing over spacing and periods to approve the proofs (formal invitation grammar is something else, yo), ordering far too close to when I wanted them sent out (before Labor Day...d'oh), and chasing down UPS to collect the shipment (I might have cried on the phone to 3 different UPS representatives...). But, finally, we got them home shortly after 9pm last night.

A long-coming meltdown commenced the second I saw M's sweet face. I so needed him to hold me as I cried, knowing that I had totally turn into one of those brides-to-be. But I didn't care. I was overwhelmed, weary, and feeling very, very aware of the Lord shaping me in this season. For a Type A gal, planning a wedding is a nightmare in the making, disguised as a dream come true. I had visions of organized notebooks and swatches, regularly-scheduled email updates to my vendors and wedding party, and lots of champagne in the mix. Y'all....no.

I'll spare y'all the details as I sincerely don't want to come off as complaining about the gift of planning a wedding to the man I love. But I will say that the Lord is faithful, and will absolutely allow some dark moments to bring us back to a place of perspective. Sometimes that means crying in public at a UPS warehouse guard shack. In a Hanes vee-neck and PJ shorts, sans makeup. (Consider myself chickity checked.) I am so thankful for such a loving God.

After tears were dried and Excedrin downed, M brought in our parcel and we opened the invites together. Some moments are so worth the tears. In fact, many moments are worth the tears. God ministers to us so much in times of struggle and weariness, and last night was a precious example of that.

I won't be sharing photos of the invites just yet, but I have to give a major shout out to the lovely folks at eInvite.com. I highly, highly recommend!

And for those of you also in a state of stress and weariness (I know many of you are actually in full swing wedding-planning mode, as well), don't hesitate to embrace the tears and turn to Him. You can't do this all on your own. Life, that is. And, thankfully, you don't have to.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."
{Matthew 11:28}

14 comments:

  1. I just love your perspetive on life. I'm sure that planning a wedding is crazy stressful and tears are inevitable, but your outlook on life and your faith are admirable. I love that you can see how God is working in beautiful ways even in the most stressful situations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Morgan. I am the first to admit, I have many, many moments that are not graceful nor pretty (sometimes downright ugly, honestly). I was struggling with feeling kind of beat up, but in the midst of it I so clearly heard him say, "I'm here. I'm what matters. Come here." So thankful for that quiet plea. Xo

      Delete
  2. this is sooo true, I bet: "For a Type A gal, planning a wedding is a nightmare in the making, disguised as a dream come true."

    I know I will totally be one of "those" brides someday! And that's fine!

    Glad your invites worked out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I blame the magazines! ;) thank you!

      Delete
  3. I can completely relate. But it feels great when you drop them in the mail. Plus, receiving the first RSVP is exciting! Enjoy the planning process! When's the big day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah, it felt nice to get the first round out. :) November 3rd!!

      Delete
  4. praise God that those invites turned out well!

    i love that you said, "planning a wedding is a nightmare in the making, disguised as a dream come true." perfectly honest.

    you're almost married!! very happy for you my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Caitlin. I can't wait to be his wife. :) Be watching your mailbox next week!

      Delete
  5. For a Type A gal, planning a wedding is a nightmare in the making, disguised as a dream come true.

    This is probably the most accurate statement ever about wedding planning. This Type A girl gets married next week and the tears have come over the stupidest things.

    I'm so glad you love your invitations! We had someone tweak an existing design & printed ourselves, it's a lot of work. Will be printing programs like crazy this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo, best of luck, girl! You're on the home stretch! :) I know the details will fade away on that special day, but it is an occassion to care for, me thinks. And I'm sure your hubby-to-be loves you all the more for crafting such a lovely day for you both. Get some rest and have a great weekend!

      Delete
  6. Awwww... Just remember no one is going to remember what the invitation looked like except you. ;) Maybe your parents. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! True. Can't wait to frame our copy! LOL. ;)

      Delete
  7. I have a Type A personality too! So I know how you felt. There's so much that goes into a wedding. Lots of details. So glad things came together. God doesn't give you anymore then you can handle. ((HUG)) Loving your new layout Natalie.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey!! I had a bridal meltdown too! I was convinced that I wasn't that girl either but it WILL happen. I still have a ways to go. It's natural because it's such an event and we want it to be perfect. My first meltdown was over my dress. You should check it out. http://www.buttergirldiaries.com/2013/05/my-first-wedding-meltdown.html

    Ginny

    ReplyDelete