2.11.2012

Project: Gallery Wall

For whatever reason, my bedroom is usually the last room that I decorate when cozying into a new space. My current abode is no exception, but now that I feel like I'm fairly content with the rest of my pad (minus a much-needed living room rug, for which we will be on the hunt this weekend), I have decided to give some TLC to my sad, sparse room. Enter, Project: Gallery Wall.

via

I have been so inspired by the many lovely variations on wall dressings scattered about design blogs and Pinterest. As I embark on creating my own, personalized wall o' stuff, I want to be mindful of the space I'm creating so that it stands the test of time, reflects my loves and style, and doesn't end up just a cluttered mess that I have to dust on the regular.

via

I've established a few parameters for myself as I cultivate my display to ensure that I am on the lookout for bargains and treasures for my wall, as well as making sure I don't end up with something that simply takes up space.

Keep the content eclectic. I don't want to showcase just photos, or just prints, or really limit the content at all. I love seeing mixes of personal photos, landscapes, handmade prints, mirrors, monogram hangings, etc. It creates an interesting and signature look.

...But keep something consistent. Because I am OCD and will be fighting every urge to make the display perfectly symmetrical, I figure at least one consistent element will keep a clean balance. I'm opting for all white frames. Not all the same frame, but varying shades and shapes of white for the photos and prints.

Scale matters. I'm using a relatively small wall to create a focal point (versus trying to cover the whole wall), so large pieces must be chosen and placed wisely. But too many small elements can look cluttered, so this will be on-going balancing act.

via

Have you spied an awesome piece in a gallery wall lately? Do you feature one in your home?

5 comments:

  1. I've got a wall like this in my study - I call it my Wall of Love as it's photos of all my family and friends!
    Emma x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love wall galleries, there so much fun. I did a mini one about Aiden's crib, with 4 large pictures of varied sizes - a hand painted boat from his Aunt, a few pictures, some of his cards from his baby shower. It's all relevant (like you, I still need to maintain organization!) and I love that it shares different moments/memories! The first picture you posted is really nice - I can see that in a bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! A study or an office seems like a great place for something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, that sounds awesome, Emily! A space like this can definitely be sentimental and well-designed at the same time. I experienced a personal backlash of sorts from having everything but the kitchen sink up on the wall during my younger years, so I went stark for a while, but now I'm ready to warm up my place with those personal touches. It makes such a huge difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gallery walls looks great. I like when all pictures have the same frame color...

    www.divine-life-style.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete