3.31.2010

The New New

I was mulling over a conversation that took place a few months ago (ish?) between April, Shine, and moi. We were discussing relationships and how excited one can reasonably get when interacting with a new Special Someone. April, always optimistic and encouraging, felt that effort and proper behavior (on the part of New) were to be celebrated and enjoyed. Shine was of the mindset that people will utilize short cuts when provided to them, and thus it is perfectly natural to question one's sincerity in certain aspects of wooing. I, dear readers, fell somewhere in the middle.

While I do think there is a lot to be said for embracing the happiness that is staring you in the face, no questions asked, I do also tread lightly when it comes to sharing my life with someone new. This doesn't have anything to do with my past nightmares relationships, per se, but I am definitely an analytical kinda girl, and love/romance/twitterpattedness don't get a free pass just because it makes me feel nice. (Like, really nice, but still...)

So, given my penchant for overanalyzing EVERYTHING, I was thinking about new relationships last night/this morning, and I realize there is a very dangerous-slash-wonderful period when you start seeing someone new. (I mean really seeing someone. Dating, really.)

You see, when you first start dating someone who shows promise (which, if he/she doesn't show promise, what the H are you doing?), there is inevitably a period of sheer awesomeness. Especially if you've been single for a while (hypothetically), you will likely come up with dozens of fun activities that you can do as a couple, all of which will seem exponentially greater because you haven't been able to partake in said activities (as a couple) in however long. (Kind of like a "grass is greener..." situation.) Anywho, you and New New will find your calendars chock full o' dinner dates, concerts, social outings, sporting events, etc. that will leave you feeling nothing short of blissful, convincing you that this is what you've been waiting for for years (er, months, weeks, whatever...hypothetical).

You tie all these feelings to the New New, and suddenly you're day dreaming about doing dishes together in your adorably cozy home, laughing at some adorably sweet inside joke y'all share, and falling asleep on the couch, snuggled up in his arms, watching your favorite film.

Hypothetically.

But pump the breaks, kids. This is when shit will inevitably get real. And not because I'm bitter and think every relationship is doomed to fail. But because, well, it just does (get real, not fail...necessarily).

After a while, you get past the glorious Best Dates Ever period (if for no other reason than you've exhausted your arsenal of ideas crafted while you were single), and things settle down a bit. This isn't a downhill motion, necessarily, nor it is the beginning of the end. It's simply the start of something else. And, harsh reality be damned, this is usually when the real stuff begins to take seed. You're going to have bad days, collectively and individually. And when this first hits, it's going to suck. You're going to think it's over and that the magic is gone, never to return.

And it may.

But if you're lucky and you're willing to stick it out, you may be on your road to finally having a partner with whom to share your bad days...or at least sit next to as you work through it all yourself.

Hypothetically.

8 comments:

  1. This is so cute, I almost threw up.

    Hypothetically.

    Shit getting real is the part I like best. Because I happen to live in the real world. Where shit is real. And full of reality. That other crap is nice and all that, but I want to know what it will look like when things don't go your way. Or when things don't go my way. I will always stand by my opinion that you never know someone until you've fought with that person (or experienced some conflict. I'm not advocating violence here, people, but we're talking about more than "he likes 2% and I drink skim!" Contrary to popular belief, that's not ACTUALLY problem. Buy separate milk. I'll send you the bill for my advice.)

    But that doesn't mean that I'm AGAINST the happy love romance stuff. I just don't think it's terribly real.

    Crap, now April's going to call me a pessimist again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS is what I always try to explain and never put into words as well as you did my lady! I LOVE the beginning (sort of). I think you should embrace the giddy, daydream about the ridiculous, and live it up. But later you find out all the good parts lie in the real stuff. It's the reason we do this relationship tango over and over again. Those moments define the "us" in the two of you and they are the things that no one else can provide.

    Yay for writing this and more yay for conversations with great friends that never actually happen. Say what?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true. I think a lot of people forget that, though, and start to wonder "What changed??"

    If you're aware of this, initially, then I guess it's easier to cope with the end of the blissful first dates phase.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Shine verbatim.

    I was in a relationship where we skipped the happy, lovey phase and went straight for the real. I wouldn't recommend it because I think you need a little twitterpation to fall in like/love with a person. If you don't have that, it makes it harder to deal when the real stuff goes down. You don't have those blissful, carefree and easy newness memories to hold on to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think my problem is that I get too caught up in the giddy, romantical side of things. I am so cynical, I don't know how I get to that point- but I do. It's like I'm just setting myself up for dissapointment. While the rational, more prominent side of my brain is all like "this guy's an asshole, beware, he's gonna hurt you in the end." whenever anyone else's relationship is in question... The whimsical dramatic and hopeless romantic side of my brain seems to take over when my own heart is concerned. I blame the movies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the cutest, most politically correct, dating post ever!

    Hypothetically.

    I'm totally with you though, that is why I am a firm believer in "middles". Skip that fun beginning and the horrid end and languish in the comfortable middle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No way. I say keep upping the stakes of the date, until eventually the two of you are HALO jumping into a tank full of jungry sharks just to keep it interesting. Eventually one of you will die from the extremitude of it all, and the other can simply move on and start the cycle all over again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think of it this way: after the "best dates ever" and all that new stuff, it gets comfortable, just like I like it. And what's better than feeling so comfortable with a person that you can sasy, "whew, sorry, i just farted" and know they wont' judge you. :)

    ReplyDelete