3.05.2011

It's like 'tit for tat'...only nice

Lately I have spent a lot of time ruminating on grace. And not just on God's overwhelming grace given to us*, but also on the grace we give (or should give) to one another.

I've learned so much recently about accepting grace bestowed upon me by others. This process is generally as a result of my struggling to overcome feelings of unworthiness for being given such a gift. It can be utterly overwhelming to acknowledge undeserved kindness and love. For a while now, these blessings have been offered by friends and family, groups which have become one and the same for me, especially in the past few years. But I've now recognized these gifts within the context of a romantic relationship, which has far exceeded my hopes or expectations for involvement with a man.

I now find myself sharing with friends, in their conflicts and struggles within their own relationships (romantic and otherwise), the value of applying grace and love for each other into their own estimations of the given situation. I think it's so easy to find a flaw or hiccup in another, and write them off as being damaged or "bad for me," which can at times be the case, sure. But I think we're also quick to over-estimate our own goodness, so to speak, and insist on perfection. Meanwhile, we are far from perfect. All of us.

When we acknowledge and praise the grace given to us in our own lives, we initiate the process of properly receiving this gift. As a result, we can't help but feel compelled to pass it on, understanding that just as we are often unworthy of love and kindness, we should be willing to give love and kindness without merit or good deed.

Just to clarify and make a tiny disclaimer: I do not mean "love" in the sense of sex, romantic involvement, acts/pledges of affection, etc. I mean valuing and caring for others, as we are asked to. No need to start handing out mixed tapes and holding a boombox over your head.**

Unless, you know, you feel inclined to do so.

*Hebrews 4:15-16
** If you don't get that reference, get thee to the video store (do those even exist anymore?) or add to your queue "Say Anything."

3 comments:

  1. Grace is such an amazing thing. And I'm pretty sure video stores are an urban legend at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your comment at List Addicts.

    This is a huge thing for me. I tend to dwell on the negative rather than focus on the wonder that's in my and other people's lives. I like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a tendency to forget grace toward others who have upset me. Thank you for the beautifully worded reminder!

    ReplyDelete