4.30.2012

DIY Coffee Filter Flowers

I was a crafty machine over the weekend, let me tell you. I haven't indulged in creative pursuits in a while (save for writing, which can be hit-and-miss these days, honestly), and I so enjoyed getting my hands dirty, perusing the aisles of local craft stores, and holding my tongue just right to execute elements of my projects.

I've been wanting to try my hand at coffee filter flowers for a while now, so when I was asked to help with the decor for an upcoming event, it was the perfect opportunity to sit down and give it a shot.

There are many tutorials out there, and I used a hybrid of methods to put mine together. Y'all, they are silly easy and quite lovely. They remind of peonies...that live forever. What's not to like?

Here is how you can make your own pretty filter flowers...

(1) Supplies you'll need: small/4-cup coffee filters, floral tape, wood floral picks, floral wire. (These items can be found in the floral aisle of your local craft store. Well, not the coffee filters, duh.)


(2) Gather a stack of 8 filters (for dense, peony-like blooms, fewer filters if you want them more delicate) and poke three holes in the filter center with the wood floral pick: one in the very center and two on either side of the central hole. 

(3) Wrap the thin wire attached to the wood floral pick around the top of the pick (to create a plug for the flower's center), then push the wood pick through the center hole to create the stem. Loop a piece of floral wire into the other two holes (flanking the center "stem") and pull the wire through to the bottom of the flower. 

(4) Wrap the wire around the wood pick. (I did it in a criss-cross pattern.) 

(5) Wrap the floral tape around the wire and pick to create a sleek stem. (This step is optional, actually. I kind of liked the way the 20 gauge fancy wire I used looked around the pick, but to be fair, there is gouging potential with the end of the wire. Your call.) 

(6) Cast aside any OCD tendencies and squish those crisp, white filters! Starting at the center, gather each filter layer one by one and squeeze it in your palm. Do this until all layers have been crinkled. (I even like to hold the layers in my palm and smash the top to make for softer "petals.")

(7) Aw, so sad flower.

(8) Now comes the fun part! Starting with the outer "petal," pull the filters back one by one and gently fluff them back out. Don't be too exact in this as some variation and irregularity looks nice, but do make sure you've un-squished every layer. (I like to pinch the center petal to keep the pick center from showing, but it doesn't look unnatural if you want to let it show.)

(9) Well hello, everlasting flower! Aren't you loverly? 

To mix it up, you can spray a finished bloom with water and a drop of food dye to add some color. I actually dabbed one bud with a freshly used tea bag for a soft beige tint, and after letting it dry, really liked the way it came out. (You could do the same with coffee, natch.)


Styled in a modern vase filled with coffee beans to balance the romantic folds of these no-maintenance buds, this pretty piece easily compliments your home or office. Enjoy your handiwork and a cup of roasted goodness while you're at it!


If you're feeling crafty, be sure to check out my DIYs for the Rifle Paper Co.-inspired recipe box and an Ikea Hack bookshelf makeover!

8 comments:

  1. Very cute! I am hoping to do a similar project, but with pink muffin liners!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, that'll be cute! I was just thinking last night that cupcake cups would be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so pretty! And it actually seems like a doable and affordable project. Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this project! You just gave me flashbacks to elementary school. In San Antonio, we celebrate Fiesta for two weeks in April. It's a big party the whole city participates in (kinda like our version of Mardi Gras). When I was in elementary school, we made flowers like these and colored them with food coloring to get them nice and bright for Fiesta decorations. Now I want to make some pretty white ones for my desk... :)

    Also, thanks for your sweet comment on my self-employment post. It's a scary thing to do but the fact that things are working out makes me believe it's the right thing to do. I just have to keep reminding myself of that and tell those doubts to get outta here!

    Hope you're having a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow those are super fun! My friend makes very similar ones out of tissue paper! I'd love to try coloring them! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. these are so cute - i'm going to have to make them. i especially love the one that has the beige tint. such a great craft!

    - l

    ReplyDelete
  7. How creative! I remember learning how to make roses from crepe paper but wow, coffee filters!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Natalie! That is so creative and pretty! I always get hyped at the beginning of DIY projects and then when I start doing them I ask myself how did I talk myself into this. HAHA But this looks easy. Thanks for sharing girl!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete