5.15.2012

Summer Beauty Trends

Thanks to Walgreens for underwriting this post. I was paid as a member of the Clever Girls Collective, but the content is all mine. Visit http://www.discoverbeautywithin.com/.

Summer has its own unique arsenal of beauty products, many of which are simply pragmatic. Especially here in Texas, it gets hot. (Melty, sweltering, makes-you-uber-unpleasant-and-whiny hot.) To combat the heat and enjoy more frolicking outdoors in the sunshine, here are my summer essentials:

5 Minute Face - Loose face powder with SPF, pink or peach blush, dusting of shimmery eyeshadow along the lid and crease, mascara, berry lip stain...done! Too hot for fuss, too fabulous outside to linger in front of the mirror. You're gorgeous. Go!


Pinned back hair - I swear, I can never find more than four Bobby Pins in my possession that haven't gone full-blown stabby status. Finding quality pins and replacing the feisty ones (you know, when the nubbins on the end have popped off) is a must, as these little guys are vital this time of year. Whether I'm keeping my layers back or securing my I-can-get-away-with-another-bun-because-I've-got-this-little-braid 'do, proper accessories keep summer looks simple and fuss-free.

Sun protection - Sunshine does wonders for the soul, but those rays can be mean and do awful things to your skin, even if you can't see it right away. Thankfully, sunscreen isn't what it used to be. There are many varieties out there, but I look for 'screens that protect against UVA and UVB rays, don't irritate sensitive skin (chemical-free, preferably) and feel cosmetically elegant. (La Roche Posay is my favorite.) Quality stuff may cost you a few dollars more, but don't skimp here. You'll pay for it in the long run.


Supple skin - OK, you're going to play in the sun. I accept that. When the sun sets and you're washing up for the evening, be sure to give your skin some TLC. Because it can be warm, moisturizing may not feel like a skin care need, but keeping your skin hydrated is key to pulling off that lovely summer glow. Switching to a lighter lotion versus emollient creams in the spring and summer is a great idea. Quenched skin comes from the inside out, so don't forget to drink lots of water, too.

Natural locks - A close second to buns/top knots, free flowing waves are my go-to summer hair style. I find that higher temps necessitate frequent hair washing (sweat happens, y'all), and the idea of spending even five minutes under a blow dryer or flat iron is less than inviting. Hydrating mousse and I are besties this time of year. (I know, I know...the 80s called and want their hair products back.) The natural look pairs well with billowy sundresses and casual tanks and shorts, so rock what you've got.

What beauty trends are you embracing this summer?

Images via Pinterest

2 comments:

  1. Great summer tips! I LOVE the five minute face in the summer. I just did a post on that a few weeks ago. And I am with ya on the hair.. a hair dryer is just too much when it's summer!

    xoxo,
    Rachael
    www.rachaelkhawkins.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha -- I wrote about my five-minute face, too. And I can never find bobby pins when I need them! They're wily little rascals.

    ReplyDelete